News from the Team
Hello Fellow Dolphins,
As you may have noticed, today we unveiled the first step in a major upgrade to Bottlenose.
This sets the stage for the launch of Bottlenose Pro, which is currently in invite-only beta with a number of leading brands and agencies.
You can see a preview of the upcoming Pro features at http://bottlenose.com/features.
A few things have changed in today’s update. Here’s a quick overview:
1. New look and feel.
We’ve build a new layout with a number of new features.
- New color scheme based on colors of the ocean and the beach. We tried to keep it minimalist so it wouldn’t distract from the content.
- On the left you will see a column for your streams and tabs. You can now expand and collapse this area using the little handle, so you can get that stuff out of the way when you don’t want to see it.
Expanded left column (left) and collapsed left column (right)
- We have reorganized the folders to support new functionality in the upcoming Pro version.
- You now have a Reports folder that contains some default reports. In the Pro version you will be able to create your own custom reports.
- There is no more Main folder, instead the Reports folder contains a Community Report and a News report for each Twitter account that provides an overview. You can also go into each Social Account to view particular streams from that account.
2. Authenticated search.
- Due to Twitter’s official change to API 1.1 in March, we can no longer provide unauthenticated access to Twitter search. So to access our search features you need to login to Bottlenose and connect your Twitter account. Once you login, search is the same as it was.
To search, use the magnifying glass icon at the top of the left column:
3. Sonar 2.0
- We have built a new version of Sonar from the ground up.
- Size of a node indicates volume (number of messages) for topic.
- Color indicates acceleration of topic (number of messages in last 15 minutes) for topic.
- You can drag nodes to put them in new locations.
- We are still adding more features to this.
4. Removed features
- Very few users ever made use of our custom stream rules feature, or our plugins feature, so we’ve removed them for the moment. A much more powerful version of rules will be available, on the firehose, in the upcoming Pro version.
- Very few users seemed to care about connecting their Google Reader accounts, so we removed that feature. Your RSS feeds will remain however. You can add new RSS feeds directly (not via Google Reader) using the Add Streams button.
We call this product, Nerve Center.(tm) It combines Bottlenose’s enterprise social intelligence software with an array of large interactive LCD displays and powered by a rack of Macs. The software runs in the cloud and does live “big data” monitoring, trend discovery, and analytics across social networks in real-time.
Nerve Center provides a physical location where a marketing or PR team can monitor and respond to changes in conversation level, brand perception, audience demographics, influence, and engagement, in real-time. It provides a range of insights across KPIs, sentiment, geography, demography and psychographics.
Bottlenose is already working with select agencies and brands to build and install Nerve Center spaces. These are being used for brand monitoring, crisis management, events management, and even as showcases for internal leaders and for visitors.
Based on your feedback, we’ve added three fresh new features that should really improve your Bottlenose experience:
1. Improved Publishing
We’ve redesigned the way you can post messages in Bottlenose. You can easily select a list of your many accounts or Facebook pages and post an update (This also works for reposts and replies).
Also, we now autocomplete usernames on Twitter so you can easily mention, reply or DM someone.
Thirdly, you can now add your Bitly account, which enables you to use your own custom URL shortener when publishing messages. That way you can track clicks and demographics for each update.
2. Bitly Analytics
By adding your Bitly account, you can now see stats in Bottlenose on any Bitly link!
3. Improvements to “Mark as Read”
Based on feedback from everyone we’ve changed the default behavior around marking messages as read. When you deselect a stream, it will automatically mark all messages as read. If you prever marking messages one-by-one you can disable this behavior in “Settings”.
Hello Fellow Dolphins! We’ve been hard at work adding your most-requested features.
Add & Manage Facebook Pages
Finally!!! Now you can apply all of Bottlenose’s powerful features to Facebook Pages. Track activity. Post. View trends in Sonar and more.
Schedule Your Posts via Bufferapp
We’ve teamed up with a company called Bufferapp to provide you with the best possible scheduled messages solution possible. You can schedule posts on Twitter, Facebook, LinkedIn and many more.
“Mark Stream as Read” Buttons
We’ve made it faster and easier to mark streams as read. Try it out.
Later this week we will be releasing important new features to Bottlenose.
Facebook Pages. You will be able to add Facebook Pages for brands etc. Then track them and use all of Bottelnose’s power tools on them.
Scheduled Posts. You asked for scheduled posting via Buffer, and we listened.
Many other fixes and improvements will also be launching. Stay tuned!
We are working on a pro version of Bottlenose for beta and release in a few months.
The Pro version focuses on the needs of influencers, consultants, brands, social media agencies, community managers, marketers, analysts, and others who need power tools for live social analytics and community management.
If you fit this description and are interested in helping us define requirements, we would love to hear from you. Please send email to Our Sales Team and tell us about you, your organization, and what your interest is.
We are particularly interested in hearing from larger organizations such as national or global agencies and brands. Your feedback is very useful to us in determining priorities and opportunities for the Pro version.
This is your chance to define your dream tool. And for those of you who help us, we will give you early-access to beta the Pro version when it’s ready.
About Bottlenose Pro
Currently approximately 70,000 influencers, businesses, brands and agencies are beta testing Bottlenose for free.
Bottlenose has been used for major social media campaigns, events like the Olympics, and much more. All for free, as part of our beta test phase.
But the free version has many limitations (limited number of accounts, limited storage, no firehose access, limited analytics, etc.).
Bottlenose Pro will remove these limitations and add a lot of new power-tools for serious social media players.
Among other features we are designing are new analytics, reporting, alerting, sentiment, a more powerful version of Sonar, team features, agency features, the ability to add more accounts, monitor up to firehose levels of data, and much more.
Pricing will have several tiers, for individuals, agencies and organizations of all sizes.
We expect to start early beta tests of Bottlenose Pro within a few months. Please contact us above, if you would like to discuss this product with us. We look forward to hearing from you.
Hi there! We released some nifty tweaks to Bottlenose today!
We’ve added a new feature that allows you to search in all your social networks easily. Just enter any keyword in the search box (top of the screen) and select the “Search in Your Networks” option. It’s lighting fast!
Also, everywhere in Bottlenose you can now glance headlines easily, kind of like Reddit and YCombinator’s Hacker News. We’ve also made improvements to our StreamSense algorithms to provide you with even better data. Try searching for any of your favorite topics - like #mars in Bottlenose - and we’ll keep you in the loop!